Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Music Review: Ms. Kelly, Kelly Rowland

Before I really critique this album, I think it is pertinent to sort of draw a clear description for what I like in a CD. In fact, it's not enough to just say, "oh that CD is great or good." I need to make concrete what I look for in "good" pop music. Of course, I'm am easy to please, my taste are very eclectic, but I tend to be a little harder on artist, whom I feel have the goods, but can't seem to deliver; I'm afraid that is where Ms. Kelly finds itself.
First, I hate monotony; I love diversity. I love when an artist plays with various sounds, but still manages to stick to a solid theme for the disc. Case in point, Christina Aguilera's last album, Back to Basics, it was brilliant. Her concept for the album from start to finish is very apparent. She was very meticulous lyrically, vocally, and musically.

Ms. Kelly, unfortunately is not the album it could be. It starts with the fun sort of playful sound of 'Like this' and keeps the same groove with the next track 'Comeback'. Yet, towards the middle the sound and intensity of the album seem to fade. Basically you'll get bored with Ms. Kelly real quick. The disk lacks diversity both musically and vocally. Kelly seems to hold back on many of the slower tracks, ones in which her soaring soprano should shine. Tracks like 'Every thought is You' and 'The Show' leave little to be desired. The bright spots on this disc appear toward the end with 'Still in love with my Ex' and 'Love' both tracks seem the most authentic, ones in which Kelly truly speaks from the heart. With such a sassy in your face title as Ms. Kelly, one would think that each track is going to show Ms. Rowland in a whole new light, contrasted with her DC image. Consequently, she doesn't seem to deliver what the title promises. This is not the self-actualizing and defining album she needed. I guess, I'll end with the words of a young diva, gone too soon, Kelly "dust yourself off and try again."

Download- Comeback, Still in love with my Ex, Flashback, and Love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Thanks for sharing! XOXO

Ben Patrick Johnson
Los Angeles, CA