Sunday, February 1, 2009

Releases from 2008, Reviews in 2009


My Music reviews are generally too long. I'll try my best to keep it short and simple.




Black Kids- Party Traumatic****- Go get it now. That's it. You'll love it. It's slightly on the verge of being bubble gum pop, but it works well. Their music is reminiscent of 80s new wave groups such as ABC, Flock of Seagulls and let's mix it up with a little Human League., too. Download 'I want to be your limousine"




Little Jackie- The Stoop****- Give me a black woman with big hair singing about smoking cigarettes and contemplating lesbianism and I am hooked. No, actually they are a duo "named after Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam's 1989 single "Little Jackie Wants to Be a Star" consisting of vocalist Imani Coppola and programmer Adam Pallin." But, Coppola is the star. She sings the songs with an in your face type of confidence that is really refreshing in the current sea of mundane female vocalist. She effortlessly raps and sings across each track, think Lauryn Hill circa 1998, but more fun. Download, 'Black Barbie'




Kanye West- 808s & Heartbreaks***- The musicality on this disc in undeniable. I an probably a fair weather Kanye fan, but his latest disc, has this skeptical reviewer questioning my former opinion of Mr. West's talent. If you can get past the auto tune vocal stylings, which are somewhat atrocious, then you might be able to enjoy the Cd. Lyrically it's probably some of his best writing. The production on 'Love Lock down' is hypnotic to say the least. Download, 'Amazing and Paranoid.'




Adele- 19****- I can't believe this girl is so young. Her songs depict rich experiences that her 2o years do not befit. Yet, age is only a number, right? She writes songs that have a seamless fidelity that connect you to her credulous pleas on a track like 'Chasing Pavements'. This is a young woman on the brink or cusp of stardom. :) Download 'Hometown Glory'




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that Imani Coppola was a part of Little Jackie. I wondered what happened to her--I still have her solo cd from years ago.