Tuesday, June 9, 2009

O' Janet, where art thou?















If you know anything about me, which most of you reading this blog do, then you know I'm a huge, not literally of course, Janet Jackson fan, pushing fanatical limits. No! I'm really not a crazy Janet fan, it's not like I want to crawl up inside her and live for awhile. Gross, right? But, I bet you get my point. I like me some JANET. But, I'm feeling a little disappointed with the way her career has progressed since the now infamous wardrobe malfunction incident in 2004. Funny, before that I didn't realize one's wardrobe could malfunction. But, hey if you can have a bad hair day, surely you can have a bad wardrobe day. Nonetheless, Janet's subsequent albums since have failed to really reach the success of her previous efforts, excluding the first two Janet 1982 & Dream Street1984. Both held mediocre success. Unfortunately, DaMita Jo 2004, 20Y.O. 2006, and Discipline 2008 all suffered from any real creative ingenuity. Don't get me wrong, I love all three. But, I have to wonder would they've still performed poorly even if the Superbowl incident hadn't occurred. Who knows? I do believe Janet will reign supreme again in pop music, I suppose only time will tell. FYI, listen to "The Best things in Life are Free," "He Doesn't Know I'm alive," and "Island Life," those songs really capture Janet's angelic soprano pretty nicely.

No comments: