Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Divalicious Moment # 1




This is the first installment of what I'd like to call my Divalicious Moments. The moment can be anything from an old school R&B video or a new pop song. What's important is that the female vocalist does something memorable in a performance or song, which captures my interest, prompting me to sample their repertoire of music. Some will be powerhouse vocalist and some won't. Basically, old or new music, it doesn't matter because these are the women that have the "IT" factor; I call them Divalicious. Look for blogs about female vocalist that I feel really encapsulate the word DIVA.

D= Delightfully charming,

I= Incredibly talented,

V=Vocal gymnast

A=Authentic performer, that is a Diva.

The first on my list is the audacious vocal styling of Stephanie Mills. This woman gives singing a whole new meaning. She can take a song and infuse so much emotion and strength into it. Sadly, she was so underrated in the 80s. She was pigeonholed as a R&B artist, making it that much harder to crack that mainstream pop ceiling. Regardless of success, she is totally fabulous.

Here's a little bit of trivia for you about Ms. Mills. She briefly dated Michael Jackson in the late 70s while she performed on Broadway as Dorothy in The Wiz. Cheers to you Stephanie.

My top Ten List

10. Whacha going to do with my Lovin

09. (I've learned to Respect) The Power of Love

08. I feel good all over

07. I Never knew Love like this before (such a gem)

06. You're Puttin a Rush on Me

05. All Day, All Night

04. Home

03. Feel the Fire

02. Comfort of a Man

01. Something in the Way you make me Feel (check out the video)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3pS1Ig5N2Y


No comments: